March 29, 2024, 02:25:58 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Cleaning up the file storage  (Read 4514 times)

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Cleaning up the file storage
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
I'm trying to clean up this beast without formating my sdcard.  There seems to be some remnants of the old file system left over from 4.1.2. Now I'm on CM10.1 and I'm not sure that the file setup is the same as a stock device. For instance, I have a /sdcard/Android/data folder containing 6.03Gb.  I believe that this is my current location for installed app data. I also have /sdcard/0/Android/data containing 4.82Gb with files that haven't been modified since I switched to CM10.1.  I think that this is the stock location for installed app data on 4.2.1.  Can anyone verify this?

I also have /sdcard/0/0/Android/data containing 186.12Mb.  I believe that this is the old directory from 4.1.2 that was carried over into the new file system. 

My old CWM backups are located along this same path in sdcard/0/0/clockworkmod/  If I want to copy these backups over to the new directory, do I need the blobs folder too?

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning up the file storage
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:31:50 AM »
you are rooted right ?

why not back it up w titanium and try it ?  worst that could happen is you will need to load the backup, if titanium's reputation is worth a damn...

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:25:24 AM »
Titanium backs up internal system files, not files that big games a la EA, Gameloft et cetera store on the user memory (SD Card).
Having said that I believe there are settings within Titanium to allow this... under Preferences and Backup settings, Backup app external data. I think this backs up any data suited on the user memory (SD Card).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
I'd move an apk to the computer or nas with windows/es file explorer to test if it's needed. It'd be a drag to have a 2GB game on there twice. If it doesn't work, move it back or reinstall program. I prefer to back up apks before they are installed.

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »
I'm now copying my obb folder to Dropbox and then will test to see if I have lost anything...

I only have 7GB remaining in my 32GB N7 and don't have that much stored on it, will check later for any remnants from 4.1.2 too.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »
Based on my research, the /sdcard/0 partitions and subsequent directories are not used whatsoever. They are created as a form of a backup for the file system when a ROM is flashed in 4.2 format. These directories can be merged with the current directories that are in use at /sdcard/ 

Titanium backs up the apk and the files stored in /sdcard/Android/data/.  If you use titanium, these files can be removed from the /0/ partition before merging.

I cleaned up 14Gb of junk in the /0/ partition and subsequent directories. I have found a couple obb directories that contain sperate files totaling over 6Gb. There are also emulated obb directories in /data/media/... more on this later...

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKReaM.NeW.ErA.1.0.4) via Tapatalk 2

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
You may want to also consolidate the clockworkmod directories in the /0/ partitions. If you did a nandroid before flashing a ROM, that backup will be found at /sdcard/0/clockworkmod.  The backup file itself in only about a dozen mb, the data is contained in the blobs, which I haven't exactly figured out yet what to do with...

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKReaM.NeW.ErA.1.0.4) via Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »
Removing obb files doesn't work... I deleted Dead Trigger's obb file and upon starting the game it asked me to re-download the obb files...

I'm missing about 5GB of space on my 32GB N7...

Furthermore I don't think I have any remnants from 4.1.2 because when I got my 32 I think I updated it from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 then 4.2.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:48:41 PM by JayJ »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
When Google decided to have one partition on Android rather than system and storage (remember when we ran out of space to install apps and want to move them to them to \sdcard) and with JellyBean to support multi-user capabilities this will be the norm... for each user, there will be a sequentially numbered folder in /data/media (/data/media/0, /data/media/2)...etc.

For each user /sdcard & /storage/sdcard0 will be linked to that users /data/media/"folder number".

For example:
                     User 1, /sdcard = /storage/sdcard0 = /data/media/0 
                     User 2, /sdcard = /storage/sdcard0 = /data/media/1,

These are emulated storage points... /data/media/0 = /storage/emulated/0, /data/media/1 = /storage/emulated/1

Without root access, each user will just see /sdcard/ and will not be able to access the other emulated storage points, therefore it becomes a bit confusing to the rooted user.

In the recovery mode, however, /sdcard is mapped to /data/media which is why you need to navigate to the "0" folder to see your files

Please note that I have not loaded a custom ROM, so I cannot say that the file structure holds true as I have presented it.

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline jj03

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 06:18:38 PM »
Love to know why i can`t clear the ram on my nexus in a simple manner. Lol. Weird choice to omit it from jellybean 4.2/ given it was available in 4.1 in my s2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

JayJ

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »
That's a Samsung Touchwiz feature, there's no need to clear RAM in Android because it's not like Windows and doesn't need free RAM to open applications.

Deja vu...

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 02:39:09 AM »
That's a Samsung Touchwiz feature, there's no need to clear RAM in Android because it's not like Windows and doesn't need free RAM to open applications.

Deja vu...

well....sortof...actually it needs the free RAM but will move current contents to cache in order to free the RAM and THEN load the app into the free RAM.  If it already HAS the free ram, it won't need to free up the used RAM.  Kinda bullcrap since the caching process uses the CPU cycles supposedly saved.  The bottom line is that if you are done with an app for the foreseeable , close it if the programmers did their job correctly and have a close button.

JayJ

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 04:42:36 AM »
I wasn't going into detail here like I have many times before...

Hence the Deja Vu comment...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt