March 19, 2024, 05:53:39 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Explanation of the different methods of backing up your device...  (Read 8667 times)

JayJ

What is a Nandroid Backup?

A Nandroid backup is typically performed through a Custom Recovery such as CWM (ClockworkMod), TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) or Amon_Ra, although at this time Amon_Ra is not available for the Nexus 7.
Nandroid backups are a vital part of rooting, hacking, modding and flashing your device. Once the device is rooted and a custom recovery flashed you can perform a nandroid backup, this is important because once you have root and you have access to the "/" level of the device, you can hack, mod and tweak the device, if something was to go awry during this and the device won't boot or bootloops, you can restore a nandroid backup which restores your device to the point the backup was created.
A nandroid backup is a carbon copy of the devices NAND, the NAND is the flash memory used to store the ROM images on the device. NAND stands for NOT AND which is a form of Electronic Logic Gate, for more information see here.
The nandroid copies several images (format, recovery type dependent) of the relevant partitions of the device typically including boot, cache, data, nandroid, recovery and system. The data copied is only relevant to what  makes the device boot, this is why a nandroid's size does not match the size of your devices system and other partitions.
During the backup process an MD5 hash checksum is added, an MD5 Message-Digest Algorithim is a crypographic hash function that creates a 128-bit hash value and is used to check the integrity of the backup using a hexadecimal number 32 characters in length.

How to create and restore a nandroid back?

First you need to reboot the device into recovery mode whether CWM or TWRP and this can be done a number of ways, either from an app like ROM manager or Goo Manager or if you have an updated device in the case of the Nexus 7 and are running Android 4.1.2 you can cold boot to recovery. To do this, with the device turned off, hold the volume down and the power button until the device boots into the bootloader, now use the volume up and down keys to navigate to "Recovery mode" and the power button the make the selection, you will see the Google splash screen and then your choice of custom recovery will appear.

Once in the custom recovery of your choice, you will either navigate the recovery by touch or by using the volume rocker and power button. TWRP is a touch based recovery and although there is a touch version of CWM avaialble a non-touch version is the usual version of CWM recovery most users will receive.

Creating a CWM nandroid backup.

Once booted into CWM Recovery, use the volume rocker to select "backup and restore". Press the power button to select this option and then select "backup", again use the power button to select this option and the custom recovery will perform the backup.
During the process you will see information of the process displayed on the screen including the version of CWM Recovery, SD Card space free (Internal memory) and what parts of the nandroid are being processed. You will also see an area below the Android that shows a graphic of the process time to give you an indication of the time remaining, the time the process takes depends on the size of the ROM and the number of applications installed on your device.
Once complete, navigate to "+++++Go Back+++++", pressing the power key to select and then to "reboot system now" and select to reboot.

If you want to manage backups to regain some of your valuable storage, you will be fine to manually delete backups in the clockworkmod folder using a file explorer but do not to delete any files in the blobs folder as these are shared files files between multiple backups and deleting them will render your nandroid backups useless. The blobs folder can seem large but it is managed by CWM recovery itself so once you delete a backup in the backup folder of clockworkmod folder the next time you run the backup option in CWM will clean up any unneeded blob files.

Creating a TWRP nandroid backup.

Once booted into TRWP recovery, tap "Backup" and you will come to the backup option screen, here you have several options. Backup device options, here you can choose which partitions of the device you would like to backup including System, Data, Boot, Recovery and Cache. By default the partitions selected are System, Data and Boot. Recovery backup isn't really necessary on the Nexus 7, the option is your to make. Cache is optional too and it's user choice whether included in the nandroid backup. Obviously although not a huge difference, not including these does make the backup smaller in size.
The next option is to name the nandroid, selecting this will take you to a text input box and keyboard for you to name the backup, by default this will be the date the nandroid is created. If you are naming the nandroid manually after entering the name press Enter on the keyboard to complete the naming process.
You can also enable compression to make the nandroid smaller, ideal for the N7 and it's limited storage and you can also skip MD5 check sum generation.
Once you have made any alterations you would like to make you can swipe the "Swipe to Back up" slider to start the backup process.
As with CWM and although different, relavent information to the backup is displayed in a command style box on the screen including the number of partitions, size of all data in backup, available space etc and you will also see a bar depicting graphically the time remaining until the backup is finished. Once complete a "Reboot System" option will be available onscreen.

Restoring a CWM nandroid backup.

Boot the device into CWM recovery and use the volume rocker to navigate to "backup and restore", use the power key to select the option and then select "restore". Select the backup you want to restore and press the power key to start the restore process.
The restore will commence much like the backup process with relevant information being displayed onscreen during the process. Once complete, reboot the device as above.

Restoring a TWRP nandroid backup.

Boot the device into TWRP recovery and tap "Restore", select the backup you want to restore and a similar option screen will appear to the backup screen, here you can select which partitions of the backup you'd like to restore, rename the backup and enable/disable the MD5 verification of backups. once you have made your choices which usually would be left as is, swipe the "Swipe to Restore" slider to run the restore.
The restore will commence much like the backup process with relevant information being displayed in the command style window, once complete select to reboot.

To be continued...

Please, if you think anything is missing here or incorrect, contact me by PM and I will amend the relevant post giving you credit below that post. I have done this to the best of my knowledge but I as most Android users, I am still learning.

Thanks and if you have question, ask away...

Titanium backups to come...

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:04:44 PM by JayJ »

JayJ

Re: Explanation of the different methods of backing up your device...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:31:25 PM »
Reserved...

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
Reserved...

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
Most EXCELLENT JayJ!  So chock full of good info I'll have to read it over several times...

Can you shed any light on why someone would prefer CWM over TWRP, or the other way round?

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Why do some people prefer TWRP to CWM or vice versa, why do some people prefer Android to iOS or some Linux over Windows? It's personal choice really.
I have CWM recovery on my S2 and TWRP on my N7 but I do prefer TWRP, even though this my first experience of TWRP and I have been using CWM based recoveries for the last three years.
The initial  reason I moved over to TWRP on my N7 was because of a bug in CWM which meant that backups could not be deleted manually using a file explorer and also because of the changes to CWM and the use of blobs files. I like to have control of my device, I have chronic SD Card OCD and I have to know what everything on it is or is for so CWM's bug and the use of blobs decided for me.
Also after trying TWRP I found it to be extremely user freindly, the UI is nicely throughout and easy to understand and navigate.

I wouldn't go back to CWM on my Nexus for any old reason.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:34:06 PM by JayJ »

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
What's strange is I prefer CWM on my phone, and TWRP on my N7.  I only wish I knew why....
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

Offline dominic

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
Thank You for a very clear explanation on nandroid back up
Can I use Nexus ToolKit to do the nandroid back up instead ? By using the ToolKit I can save the back up on the PC and not using the limited 16GB storage on N7
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:45:00 AM by dominic »

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »
Your welcome dominic, hope others find it as useful as you have.

Yes, you can use NRT to make nandroid backups and as you say it's a great way to save space. Personally I prefer to have a backup in my device, just incase I need to restore it at a time I don't have access to my PC.
Alternatively you could make backups on the N7 and then save to your PC, the cloud or a Thumb drive via StickMount.

How that helps.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
I don't know how I missed this.:-\
Great work!

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »
Thanks bjs, I need to get this finished so will cover Titanium when I find time...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:01:44 AM »
Not sure how I missed this great post either, must have been on holiday :-)

Even after rooting 2 Nexus devices, I'm still not sure what backup I'd need to perform to enable a re-install of apps and data after a factory reset or new install, etc.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »
That would be Titanium Backup, I've started to write a guide but haven't had the time to finish it...

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »
Thanks JayJ.

JayJ

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
I'll try and get it finished in the next few days...

Offline engineer

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »
I'll try and get it finished in the next few days...
did you get the TitaniumBackup pro guide written yet? If so, where do I find it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts